Battery management system user manuals and technical data sheets are available for download on our Technical Resources page.
Stack Switchgear (SSG)
Nuvation Energy Stack Switchgear protects the cells in a high-voltage battery stack and manages the Nuvation Energy BMS Cell Interfaces connected to the cells. It connects and disconnects a battery stack to the DC Bus, and provides connectivity between the batteries and higher level ESS controllers.
- Includes all components required to connect the stack to the DC bus, i.e. fuses, contactors, bus bars, current shunts, pre-charge circuits, e-stop, short-circuit protection, and networking.
- Calculates State of Charge (SOC) and Depth of Discharge (DOD) and uses voltage and temperature data from the BMS to provide safe current thresholds to the PCS. Current limiter feature helps prevent overcharge and over-discharge by scaling back current thresholds as the batteries approach max SOC and DOD.
- Reports available capacity changes to the PCS and other ESS managers.
- Provides terminal connections for the battery stack as well as communications I/O for other ESS controllers.
- Provides cell balancing commands to Cell Interface modules during the charge cycle.
- Executes safety disconnect commands to protect the battery if the cells are performing outside of their safety profile. Also includes short-circuit protection.
- Can control rack cooling fans in response to temperature rise data from Cell Interfaces.
Included inside the Nuvation Energy Stack Switchgear unit, or sold separately for systems not utilizing Nuvation Energy Stack Switchgear. Measures stack current, powers other Nuvation Energy High-Voltage BMS modules. One used in each high-voltage battery stack.
- Provides operating power for the system, sourced from a 24 VAC/VDC input, which allows full functionality even with fully discharged battery cells.
- Monitors stack current via an external inline current shunt for high accuracy.
- Monitors battery stack voltage.
- Includes coil drivers for up to four contactors; provides 24 VDC power for energizing contactor coils, and optional external coil power input for voltage flexibility.
- LEDs provide Power, Activity, and Fault status.
Included inside the Nuvation Energy Stack Switchgear unit, or sold separately for systems not utilizing Nuvation Energy Stack Switchgear. Master controller of all other Nuvation Energy BMS modules in a stack. One used in each high-voltage battery stack.
- Connects to Cell Interfaces to manage balancing and provide stack management.
- Calculates State of Charge and Depth of Discharge at both the cell and stack levels.
- Communicates with external systems via Modbus TCP (Ethernet), Modbus RTU (RS-485), or CAN bus.
- Provides access to the Nuvation Energy BMS Operator Interface.
- Supports firmware upgrades via Ethernet.
- Includes Link Bus interface to Cell Interface module(s).
- Includes Stack Bus interface to Power Interface module.
- LEDs provide Power, Activity, and Fault status.
Used in both low- and high-voltage battery stacks. Measures voltage and temperature, provides cell balancing. In a high-voltage battery stack, multiple CIs manage series-connected cells to reach voltages of up to 1250 VDC. For low-voltage applications, Cell Interfaces can be added to a Nuvation Energy Low-Voltage BMS to increase the number of series-connected cells in an 11-60 VDC stack.
- Measures voltage and temperature of each cell, provides cell balancing.
- Connects directly to cells. Includes eight external temperature sensor inputs for the cells.
- 12- and 16-channel models available. Also available 4-channel model designed specifically for 12 V monobloc cells.
- Provides passive balancing up to 300mA (12- and 16-channel models only).
- Stackable architecture supports using multiple Cell Interfaces to support hundreds of cells in series.
- Galvanically isolated serial communications between Cell Interfaces and the Stack Controller protect the system from electromagnetic interference and enable floating battery architectures and highly accurate voltage readings.
- Each Cell Interface can manage up to 80 VDC.
- Daisy chain architecture; no addressing switches to set.
- LEDs provide Activity and Fault status.
Low-Voltage Battery Management System
The equivalent of a Power Interface, Stack Controller, and Cell Interface in one package, for applications with a maximum voltage of up to 60 VDC. Will support the periodic peak voltages of up to 68 VDC that can occur during battery maintenance operations such as lead battery equalization.
- One Nuvation Energy Low-Voltage Battery Management System manages one stack.
- 12- and 16-channel (i.e. single cells or cell groupings for increased capacity) models are available.
- Can manage additional cells in series by adding additional Cell Interface modules (maximum overall stack voltage of 60 VDC still applies).
- Parallel stack management is available by adding a Battery Control Panel.
- Provides cell balancing to lithium-ion and other battery chemistries, including lead-acid
- Communicates with systems outside of the BMS via Modbus TCP (Ethernet), Modbus RTU (RS-485), or CAN bus.
Battery Control Panel
The Battery Control Panel (BCP) aggregates all the battery stacks in your energy storage system. It enables operation of the overall system as a single unified battery, and also provides stack-level information and control.
- Included Multi-Stack Controller aggregates up to 16 stacks in parallel via a bank of Ethernet ports, expandable to 36 stacks with the addition of an external network switch (not included).
- LCD touchscreen provides access to the BMS Operator Interface.
- Cellular modem and antenna (US/Canada) enables redundant internet connectivity.
- Internal UPS enables graceful shut-down in the event of a power outage.
- Available dedicated Ethernet port for energy controller connectivity.
- Designed for indoor wall-mounting.
One included in the Battery Control Panel, or can be purchased separately. Aggregates multiple stacks to operate as a single battery. Provides unified control over Modbus TCP (Ethernet) and acts as a data analytics gateway. Supports both low- and high-voltage applications.
- Collects pack-level voltage, temperature, and current statistics for all cells.
- Calculates State of Charge and Depth of Discharge of the unified energy storage system.
- Generates system-wide faults and warnings, provides battery pack diagnostics.
- Provides a single entry point to all measurement and control points in the BMS.
- Ensures that measurements, control signals, and other data are propagating properly through all BMS modules.
- Streams real-time data to external servers for analytics and trend data capture.
- Multi-socket Ethernet interface allows concurrent operation of both local and remote operator panels, data analytics streaming, and inverter control.
- MESA Draft 3 compliant Modbus TCP for connection to power conversion systems.
- Pushes BMS firmware and configuration updates to all BMS modules across entire battery.