A Battery Management Solution for Utility-Grade Multi-Stack Energy Storage Systems
For multi-stack battery configurations, Nuvation High-Voltage BMS™ includes the Grid Battery Controller (GBC). The GBC manages all cells and stacks across the entire battery from a single device. This utility-grade device manages and provides a unified view of the multi-stack battery, enables data analytics, and pushes BMS configuration and firmware updates across the entire battery.
Designed in compliance with MESA (Modular Energy Storage Architecture) Open Standards for Energy Storage, the Grid Battery Controller was created specifically for integration with a wide range of grid batteries and inverters. Features include:
- Collects pack-level voltage, temperature, and current statistics for all cells, State of Charge (SOC) and State of Health (SOH) for the entire battery, system-wide faults, warnings, and battery pack diagnostics
- Provides a single entry point to all measurement and control points in the BMS
- Ensures that measurements, control signals, and other data are propagating properly through the entire system
Communications & Data Analytics Support
- Streams real-time data to external servers for analytics and trend data capture
- Multi-socket Ethernet interface allows concurrent operation of both local and remote operator panels, data analytics streaming, and Modbus TCP inverter control
- Configurable CAN bus interface for connection to inverters and chargers
- MESA-compliant Modbus TCP for connection to Power Conversion Systems
Maintenance & Management
- Brings stacks offline or online for service, maintenance, modifications, etc.
- Assigns IP addresses to stack controllers automatically to simplify battery bring-up
- Pushes firmware and configuration updates to all BMS modules across entire battery
- Multi-socket Ethernet interface allows concurrent operation of local and remote operation, data analytics streaming, and inverter control
- Fine tuning controls enable optimization and on-the-fly experimentation
Nuvation BMS is a ready-to-ship utility-grade product that has passed compliance testing. See the Grid Battery Controller standards and certifications below:
Grid Battery Controller Standards & Conformance
ELECTROMAGNETIC COMPATIBILITY (EMC) - CONDUCTED AND RADIATED EMISSIONS
- FCC CFR 47 Part 15 Subpart B : 2016 - Unintentional Radiators, Class A
- IC ICES 003, Issue 6 : 2016 - Information Technology Equipment (Including Digital Apparatus) - Limits and Methods of Measurement, Class A
- CISPR 32 : 2015 / EN 55032 : 2015 - Electromagnetic compatibility of multimedia equipment - Emission requirements
ELECTRICAL NOISE IMMUNITY
- CISPR 24 : 2010 / EN 55024 : 2010 Information technology equipment - Immunity characteristics - Limits and methods of measurement
- EN 61000-4-2 - Electro-static Discharge
- EN 61000-4-3 - Radiated Field Immunity
- EN 61000-4-4 - Electrical Fast Transients (Bursts)
- EN 61000-4-5 - Surge
- EN 61000-4-6 - Conducted RF Immunity
- EN 61000-4-8 - Power Frequency Magnetic Field
- EN 61000-4-11 - Voltage Dips and Interrupts
- CE - compliant with European Union (EU) health, safety and environmental protection directives and regulations.
MESA Open Standards for Energy Storage
Nuvation BMS™ is conformant with Draft 3 of the MESA-Device/SunSpec Energy Storage Model. This Model addresses how energy storage components are packaged and arranged, electrically connected and able to communicate with each other and other operational components.
Nuvation BMS can be integrated with any other MESA-conformant energy storage hardware or software without the custom middleware often required to enable different companies’ products to work together. MESA-Device Specifications are built on the Modbus protocol.