Utility-Grade Battery Management for Energy Storage
Nuvation Energy’s High-Voltage BMS provides cell- and stack- level control for battery stacks up to 1250 VDC. One Stack Switchgear unit manages each stack and connects it to the DC bus of the energy storage system. Cell Interface modules in each stack connect directly to battery cells to measure cell voltages and temperatures and providing cell balancing. The UL 1973 Recognized BMS modules in each stack ensure safe battery operation and significantly reduce the effort of pursuing UL 1973 and UL 9540 certification of the energy storage solution.
For parallel stack aggregation, an additional Nuvation Energy Battery Control Panel (BCP) can be included in the ESS. The BCP acts as a central control hub that combines all the Stack Switchgear units and enables the stacks to be managed as a unified battery system.
HIGH-Voltage bms features
- From kWh to MWh, the Nuvation Energy High-Voltage BMS manages up to 1250 VDC per battery stack and up to 36 stacks in parallel with the addition of a Battery Control Panel.
- Connects and disconnects a battery stack to the DC Bus of the ESS in response to requests from system controllers. Will also report the resulting capacity change to the PCS and other energy management systems.
- Measures cell- and stack-level voltage, temperature, and current. Calculates State of Charge (SOC), and Depth of Discharge (DOD) and provides this information to the PCS to enable precise charge/discharge control.
- Provides battery profile thresholds to the PCS, triggers warnings when approaching safety limits, can activate battery cooling fans.
- Will alter current limits to protect the battery from overcharge and over-discharge as well as to reduce battery temperature and to prevent over-voltage.
- Utilizes a pre-charge circuit when connecting the stack to the DC bus, to prevent current surges and voltage mismatches that could damage cells.
- Disconnects batteries from the power path if safety thresholds are exceeded during ESS operation.
- Includes short-circuit protection.
a complete stack management solution
Nuvation Energy’s High-Voltage BMS consists of a Nuvation Energy Stack Switchgear unit plus Nuvation Energy Cell Interface modules. Stack Switchgear includes all the hardware, software and connectors required to integrate a battery stack into your energy storage system (ESS). The Cell Interfaces connect directly to the battery cells to monitor voltage and temperature and perform cell balancing. Stack Switchgear includes contactors and a pre-charge resistor to manage connection and disconnection to the DC bus, a manual emergency stop (E-Stop) function, and a wide range of connectivity options for integration with the ESS.
High-Voltage BMS Standards & Conformance
- The Nuvation Energy Power Interface, Stack Controller, and Cell Interface battery management system modules are UL 1973 Recognized and investigated to ANSI/UL 1998 and UL 991 for functional safety. Download UL Certificate of Compliance. File number: MH64071.
- Construction in compliance to technical standards of CAN/CSA-C22.2 No. 60950-1:2007/A2:2014-10, UL 60950-1:2007/R:2014-10, and IEC 60950-1:2005 (Second Edition) + Am 1:2009 + Am 2:2013
- CE - compliant with European Union (EU) health, safety and environmental protection directives and regulations
- FCC CFR 47 Part 15 Subpart B : 2016 - Unintentional Radiators, Class A
- IC ICES 003, Issue 6 : 2016 - Information Technology Equipment (Including Digital Apparatus) - Limits and Methods of Measurement, Class A
- CISPR 32 : 2015 / EN 55032 : 2015 - Electromagnetic compatibility of multimedia equipment - Emission requirements
ELECTRICAL NOISE IMMUNITY
- CISPR 24 : 2010 / EN 55024 : 2010 Information technology equipment
Validated by DNV GL
“DNV GL has validated the performance of Nuvation Energy High-Voltage BMS and believes it has demonstrated the level of safety required for operation in stationary applications. Further, Nuvation Energy’s engineering team have demonstrated an advanced understanding of energy storage technologies and controls and have developed a highly configurable, technology agnostic system capable of rapid field configuration and which demonstrates many of the advanced features DNV GL believes are required for proper active safety from the BMS. Nuvation Energy’s design, which incorporates General Purpose Inputs/Outputs (GPIO) allows for integration with the balance of system, including fire detection and alarm systems and other sensors that many systems do not possess.”
– Nick Warner, Senior Test Engineer, Energy Advisory Laboratory Services, DNV GL