A Utility-Grade Battery Management System for Energy Storage
Nuvation High-Voltage BMS™ is designed to manage utility-scale energy storage systems up to 1250 VDC and to meet the external communication requirements of smart grids. This MESA conformant commercial-grade battery management system meets industry-recognized interoperability standards for utility-scale batteries and inverters.
- Extends Battery Life - Communicates with power conversion systems to deliver optimal charge cycling. Modbus TCP supports MESA storage models for connection to power conversion systems as well as to other external systems through multiple concurrent client connections
- Ensures Pack-Level Safety - Identifies cells that need servicing or replacement or are being operated outside of manufacturer specifications. Initiates preventive action to protect the battery and ensure safe operation
- Supports Data Analytics - Streams measurements and control signals to external server for real-time view and trend data analytics capture
- Enables Remote Management - Provides access to ESS management tools from any PC or mobile device. View system performance, make system-wide BMS configuration changes, take down or bring up stacks, update firmware across the entire battery via one interface
- Highly Configurable - Over 1000 low-level fine tuning controls enable battery performance optimization and on-the-fly experimentation
Scalable Modular Architecture
The Nuvation High-Voltage BMS™ modules that manage a battery stack include a Stack Controller, Power Interface, and Cell Interface. A typical single-stack system configuration includes one Stack Controller, one Power Interface, and one or more Cell Interfaces connected in series. This modular architecture supports battery pack voltages as high as 1250 VDC. Cell Interface modules can manage up to 16 cells each. One Stack Controller can manage up to 48 Cell Interface modules. The Grid Battery Controller (GBC) manages multi-stack battery configurations by aggregating the Stack Controllers and managing all cells and stacks as a single unified battery.
Nuvation BMS is a ready-to-ship utility-grade product that has passed compliance testing. See Nuvation High-Voltage BMS standards and certifications below:
High-Voltage BMS Standards & Conformance
ELECTROMAGNETIC COMPATIBILITY (EMC) - CONDUCTED AND RADIATED EMISSIONS
- FCC CFR 47 Part 15 Subpart B : 2016 - Unintentional Radiators, Class A
- IC ICES 003, Issue 6 : 2016 - Information Technology Equipment (Including Digital Apparatus) - Limits and Methods of Measurement, Class A
- CISPR 32 : 2015 / EN 55032 : 2015 - Electromagnetic compatibility of multimedia equipment - Emission requirements
ELECTRICAL NOISE IMMUNITY
- CISPR 24 : 2010 / EN 55024 : 2010 Information technology equipment - Immunity characteristics - Limits and methods of measurement
- EN 61000-4-2 - Electro-static Discharge
- EN 61000-4-3 - Radiated Field Immunity
- EN 61000-4-4 - Electrical Fast Transients (Bursts)
- EN 61000-4-5 - Surge
- EN 61000-4-6 - Conducted RF Immunity
- EN 61000-4-8 - Power Frequency Magnetic Field
- EN 61000-4-11 - Voltage Dips and Interrupts
- Construction in compliance to technical standards of CAN/CSA-C22.2 No. 60950-1:2007/A2:2014-10, UL 60950-1:2007/R:2014-10, and IEC 60950-1:2005 (Second Edition) + Am 1:2009 + Am 2:2013
- CE - compliant with European Union (EU) health, safety and environmental protection directives and regulations.
MESA Open Standards for Energy Storage
Nuvation BMS™ is conformant with Draft 3 of the MESA-Device/SunSpec Energy Storage Model. This Model addresses how energy storage components are packaged and arranged, electrically connected and able to communicate with each other and other operational components.
Nuvation BMS can be integrated with any other MESA-conformant energy storage hardware or software without the custom middleware often required to enable different companies’ products to work together. MESA-Device Specifications are built on the Modbus protocol.