A Utility-Grade Battery Management System for Energy Storage
Nuvation High-Voltage BMS™ is designed to manage utility-scale energy storage systems up to 1250 VDC and to meet the external communication requirements of smart grids. This MESA conformant commercial-grade battery management system meets industry-recognized interoperability standards for utility-scale batteries and inverters.
- Extends Battery Life - Communicates with power conversion systems to deliver optimal charge cycling. Modbus TCP supports MESA storage models for connection to power conversion systems as well as to other external systems through multiple concurrent client connections
- Ensures Pack-Level Safety - Identifies cells that need servicing or replacement or are being operated outside of manufacturer specifications. Initiates preventive action to protect the battery and ensure safe operation
- Supports Data Analytics - Streams measurements and control signals to external server for real-time view and trend data analytics capture
- Enables Remote Management - Provides access to ESS management tools from any PC or mobile device. View system performance, make system-wide BMS configuration changes, take down or bring up stacks, update firmware across the entire battery via one interface
- Highly Configurable - Over 1000 low-level fine tuning controls enable battery performance optimization and on-the-fly experimentation
Scalable Modular Architecture
The Nuvation High-Voltage BMS™ modules that manage a battery stack include a Stack Controller, Power Interface, and Cell Interface. A typical single-stack system configuration includes one Stack Controller, one Power Interface, and one or more Cell Interfaces connected in series. This modular architecture supports battery pack voltages as high as 1250 VDC. Cell Interface modules can manage up to 16 cells each. One Stack Controller can manage up to 48 Cell Interface modules. The Grid Battery Controller (GBC) manages multi-stack battery configurations by aggregating the Stack Controllers and managing all cells and stacks as a single unified battery.
Nuvation BMS™ is conformant with the MESA-Device/Sunspec Energy Storage Model. MESA (mesastandards.org) conformant products share a common communications interface that exposes all the data and control points required for operating an energy storage system. This enables Nuvation BMS™ to be integrated with other MESA-conformant energy storage hardware or software without the need for custom middleware.