A Utility-Grade Battery Management System for Low-Voltage Applications
The Intelligent 11-60 VDC BMS
Designed to the same uncompromising standards as Nuvation Energy’s high-voltage battery management system for megawatt-scale energy storage systems, Nuvation Low-Voltage BMS™ is used in environments where power quality and reliability are essential. Nuvation’s intelligent battery management systems provide precise battery management and additional layers of safety assurance with features such as open wire detection, smart stack connection and disconnection, and sequential contactor disconnect under load. They also include a powerful user control software suite that is accessible via web browser.
Nuvation Low-Voltage BMS™ is used in behind-the-meter energy storage applications, speciality vehicles, telecom power backup systems, mobile robots, and more. It provides cell balancing and charge management for virtually any battery chemistry, can manage up to 12 or 16 cells, and can be expanded to manage additional cells with one or more Cell Interfaces. (Download Brochure)
Battery Management System Features
- Low-Voltage and Utility-Grade – The same high-reliability hardware design and software suite as Nuvation High-Voltage BMS™ for megawatt-scale systems, in a form factor optimized for low-voltage applications.
- All-In-One and Scalable – One standalone Nuvation Low-Voltage BMS™ can be used to manage up to 12 or 16 cells. Additional Cell Interface modules can be added to increase the stack size. For larger scale applications, add a Grid Battery Controller for intelligent multi-stack management.
- Versatile and Configurable – Can be configured for virtually any battery chemistry and charge characteristics, and connected to external systems via Modbus TCP (Ethernet), CAN, and Modbus RTU (RS-485).
- Smart System Bring-Up – When a stack is brought online, voltage and current mismatches between the stack and DC bus can lead to transient voltages and current surges that can damage batteries and components. Utilizing an auxiliary circuit, the BMS will perform an autonomous pre-charge routine that helps prevent current surges when connecting a stack to the DC bus. It also tests the connection beforehand, connects the stack only when it is safe to do so, and informs the PCS when it is safe to begin charging or discharging the stack.
- Smart System Shut-Down – When receiving a shutdown signal, the BMS will reduce the current limits before opening the contactors, and then open the contactors in a sequence that creates a failsafe path.
- User-Friendly Operator Interface – Remotely connect to view and tune system performance, make BMS configuration changes, take down or bring up stacks, and update BMS firmware.
- Open Wire Detection – Detects and identifies the location of disconnected or poorly connected voltage taps and temperature sensors that could cause battery control errors.
- Black-Start Support – Can be powered externally or fully off the battery to support energy storage systems that require black start capability. In a system where the BMS is powered by the battery, built-in circuitry turns the BMS off in the event that the battery reaches a configurable under-voltage lockout threshold.
- Customizable – For volume clients, Nuvation Energy can create a custom variant to meet specific requirements, form factors, connectors, and industry certifications.
- Makes charge and discharge current limits available to power conversion systems.
- Identifies cells that need servicing or replacement or are being operated outside manufacturer specifications.
- Initiates preventive action to protect the battery and ensure safe operation. Provides passive balancing for lithium-ion and other battery chemistries.
- Supports a nominal stack voltage of up to 60 VDC. For battery applications that include an equalization process (e.g. some lead chemistries), Nuvation Low-Voltage BMS™ will support the periodic peak voltages of up to 68VDC that can occur during that maintenance operation. For applications that continuously exceed 60 VDC, Nuvation Energy recommends Nuvation High-Voltage BMS™. To discuss specific use-case scenarios, please contact us.
- The Low-Voltage Battery Controller module can operate as a standalone BMS that supports 12 or 16 voltage taps depending on the model, and 8 temperature sensors. This can be expanded to support additional cells by adding a Cell Interface.
- Multiple stacks can be connected in parallel using a Grid Battery Controller.
- Monitors stack current via a current shunt to calculate State of Charge and enforce current limits.
- Uses built-in coil drivers to control up to four contactors.
- Includes protection from overvoltage and reverse battery connection.
- Four general purpose inputs and four general purpose outputs.
- Supports firmware upgrades over Ethernet.
Low-Voltage BMS Standards & Conformance
ELECTROMAGNETIC COMPATIBILITY (EMC) - CONDUCTED AND RADIATED EMISSIONS
- FCC CFR 47 Part 15 Subpart B : 2016 - Unintentional Radiators, Class B
- IC ICES 003, Issue 6 : 2016 - Information Technology Equipment (Including Digital Apparatus) - Limits and Methods of Measurement, Class B
MESA Open Standards for Energy Storage
Nuvation BMS™ is conformant with Draft 3 of the MESA-Device/SunSpec Energy Storage Model. This Model addresses how energy storage components are packaged and arranged, electrically connected and able to communicate with each other and other operational components.
Nuvation BMS™ can be integrated with any other MESA-conformant energy storage hardware or software without the custom middleware often required to enable different companies’ products to work together. MESA-Device Specifications are built on the Modbus protocol.