Reliable Battery Management for Low-Voltage Applications
The Intelligent 11-60 VDC BMS
Designed to the same uncompromising standards as the Nuvation Energy High-Voltage BMS for megawatt-scale energy storage systems, Nuvation Energy’s Low-Voltage BMS is used in environments where power quality and reliability are essential. This UL 1973 Recognized battery management system provides precise battery management and additional layers of safety assurance with features such as open wire detection, smart stack connection and disconnection, and sequential contactor disconnect under load. It also includes a powerful user control software suite that is accessible via web browser.
Nuvation Energy’s Low-Voltage BMS is used in commercial and residential energy storage applications, specialty vehicles, telecom power backup systems and more. It provides cell balancing and charge management and can be configured for most battery chemistries. For full specifications please see: User Manuals and Technical Resources.
Battery Management System Features
- Low-Voltage and Utility-Grade – The same high-reliability hardware design and software suite as our High-Voltage BMS for megawatt-scale systems, in a form factor for low-voltage applications.
- All-In-One and Scalable – One standalone Low-Voltage Battery Management System can be used to manage up to 12 or 16 cells. Additional Cell Interface modules can be added to increase the stack size. For larger scale applications, add a Battery Control Panel for intelligent multi-stack management.
- Versatile and Configurable – Can be configured for virtually any battery chemistry and charge characteristics, and connected to external systems via Modbus TCP (Ethernet), CAN, and Modbus RTU (RS-485).
- Smart System Bring-Up – When a stack is brought online, voltage and current mismatches between the stack and DC bus can lead to transient voltages and current surges that can damage batteries and components. With the use of an auxiliary circuit, the BMS can perform an autonomous pre-charge routine that helps prevent current surges when connecting a stack to the DC bus. It tests the connection beforehand, connects the stack only when it is safe to do so, and informs the PCS when it is safe to begin charging or discharging the stack.
- Smart System Shut-Down – When it receives a shutdown signal, the BMS will reduce the current limit thresholds it provides to the PCS, which will cause the PCS to scale back the charge or discharge current. When the current has been sufficiently reduced to mitigate the chance of electrical arcing in the contactors, the BMS will open the contactors in a sequence that creates a failsafe path.
- User-Friendly Operator Interface – Remotely connect to view and tune system performance, make BMS configuration changes, take down or bring up stacks, and update BMS firmware.
- Open Wire Detection – Detects and identifies the locations of disconnected or poorly connected voltage taps and temperature sensors that could cause battery control errors. If the BMS detects faulty sense wiring it will prevent system bring-up or, if the system is active, it will disconnect the batteries from the power path.
- Black-Start Support – Can be powered externally or fully off the battery to support energy storage systems that require black start capability. In a system where the BMS is powered by the battery, built-in circuitry turns the BMS off in the event that the battery reaches the set under-voltage threshold.
- Supports a nominal stack voltage of 11-60 VDC. For battery applications that include an equalization process (e.g. some lead chemistries), the Nuvation Energy Low-Voltage BMS will support the periodic peak voltages of up to 68VDC that can occur during that maintenance operation. For applications that continuously exceed 60 VDC, Nuvation Energy recommends our High-Voltage BMS. To discuss specific use-case scenarios, please contact us.
- Provides cell balancing during the charge cycle for lithium-ion and other battery chemistries.
- As a standalone unit the Low-Voltage BMS supports 12 or 16 voltage taps depending on the model, and 8 temperature sensors. This can be expanded to support additional cells by adding a Cell Interface.
- Provides battery profile thresholds to power conversion systems and other charge controllers to ensure safe operation. Dynamically adjusts current limit thresholds to protect the battery during charging and discharging.
- Triggers warning notifications when batteries approach nominal performance boundaries, and will disconnect the batteries to if they exceed specified parameters.
- Multiple stacks can be connected in parallel using a Multi-Stack Controller.
- Monitors stack current via a current shunt to calculate State of Charge and enforce current limits.
- Includes built-in coil drivers to energize up to four contactors.
- Includes protection from overvoltage and reverse battery connection.
- Four general purpose inputs and four general purpose outputs.
- Supports firmware upgrades over Ethernet.
Low-Voltage BMS Standards & Conformance
- UL 1973 Recognized and investigated to ANSI/UL 1998 and UL 991 for functional safety. Download UL Certificate of Compliance. File number: MH64071
ELECTROMAGNETIC COMPATIBILITY (EMC) - CONDUCTED AND RADIATED EMISSIONS
- FCC CFR 47 Part 15 Subpart B : 2016 - Unintentional Radiators, Class B
- IC ICES 003, Issue 6: 2016 - Information Technology Equipment (Including Digital Apparatus) - Limits and Methods of Measurement, Class B