Custom 2MW Lithium-Ion Energy Storage System
Trane selected Nuvation Energy to build a specialized energy storage system (ESS) for a wastewater treatment plant in the City of Santa Rosa, CA. The plant employs backup diesel generators in the event of a grid power failure, but there is a gap between the time the grid power fails and when the backup diesel generators are fully ramped up and online. Nuvation created an ESS that would ensure 100% plant uptime by facilitating the seamless transition from the utility grid to the diesel gensets.
To support the high power demand requirements of the treatment plant, the ESS can output 2MW for 15 minutes. In addition to this unusual power requirement, the approved site was not large enough to support a standard 40-foot containerized ESS. So Nuvation worked with ESS container manufacturer Eco-H to build a compact 24-foot container. PCS integration and final testing before field deployment were performed at Parker Hannifin - Energy Grid-Tie Division in Charlotte, NC.
Check out this video to learn more about the 2MW energy storage system we built.
- Wastewater treatment plant, City of Santa Rosa, CA
- Spinning reserve, for diesel genset changeover in case of grid outage
- Custom ultra-compact 24-foot container due to siting constraints
- Outputs 2MW for 15 minutes
- Capacity - 588 kWh
- PCS - Parker Hannifin 890GT-B, 2MW, 1200 VDC
- Nuvation Energy turnkey ESS design (racks, battery selection, pack & rack design, container, HVAC, fire suppression, PCS, etc.)
Energy Storage for Load Shifting
Stalwart Power selected Nuvation BMS™ to manage their 50 V battery energy storage system for grid-attached, behind-the-meter energy storage. The Stalwart system was a 17.5 kWh lithium-iron phosphate energy storage system that utilized a Schneider PCS.
Stalwart selected batteries for the system, but needed to replace the manufacturer’s bundled battery management system because it was not designed to support deployment at the utility.
Stalwart chose to replace the BMS with Nuvation BMS due to its remote monitoring capabilities. Nuvation BMS has the ability to remotely monitor an energy storage system and flag potential issues that would merit a service call, before it impacts system safety or performance.
Nuvation Energy performed all aspects of system integration for this project. Our software team also developed a custom site controller that performed PV smoothing and load balancing functions.
- PV smoothing and load shifting
- 50 VDC, 17 kWh, LiFePO4 battery stack, Schneider PCS
- Ethernet communications, remote access to performance data and BMS controls
- Created custom PV smoothing, load shifting algorithms and site controller
- Performed all system integration and testing
- Installed in the field at California utility, with on-site support from Nuvation Energy