Nuvation is looking for a talented and motivated Energy System Designer with a background in electrical systems, strong technical expertise, as well as the ability to work well in a highly collaborative environment. This is a full-time position in our Waterloo Office.
The ideal candidate has demonstrated experience working with multi-discipline teams, has sound knowledge of system engineering practices, and is comfortable in a highly collaborative environment. Proven experience is a must, but so are technical creativity and the ability to learn. In this role you will have the opportunity to develop diverse technical expertise, keep your career dynamic and exciting, and gain a broad range of skills. If you are looking for constant challenges on a wide variety of design problems, this is the job for you.
The Energy System Designer will join our Energy System Design Services team. This team focuses on designing Battery Energy Storage Systems (BESS) and leverages our battery management system (BMS) and energy management system (EMS) products to bring an entire BESS to life. This role will directly contribute to the analysis, design decisions, and implementation of these systems. Additional responsibilities include general engineering leadership, team development, mentorship, and individual growth.
- Engineering Execution – Actively contributing to the delivery of our Engineering Services. All levels of technical activity will be involved, ranging from design and development to in-lab bring-up. This will be your primary activity – creating new products for Nuvation and our customers, bringing into the world products that never existed beforee
- Technical Development – Developing your technical skills, knowledge and leadership through a work environment that provides mentoring and open collaboration.
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS
- Power systems design experience for high voltage DC systems
- Knowledge of electrical design, materials, and installation methods – especially in energy storage applications, is an asset
- Knowledge of power system protection Understanding of electrical, thermal, and mechanical characteristics of cells, modules and/or packs (SOC, SOH, DOD life cycle etc.)
- Understanding of packaging for various battery systems (cells, modules, busbars, fuses, wiring, connectors, control modules)
- Proficient in generating engineering deliverables such as electrical drawings and other technical documents
- Experience using engineering tools such as AutoCAD or similar electrical tools
- Highly experienced in engineering processes
- Ability to identify complex problems, review related information to develop and evaluate options, and implement solutions
- Experience with performing design activities to meet applicable safety standards
- Excellent communication and technical writing skills
- Able to communicate professionally and positively with customers and vendors
- University degree or College Diploma in Electrical/Electronics, Mechanical, Systems, Mechatronics, or equivalent experience
- Knowledge and application experience of certifications and standards such as
- Shock and vibration / seismic, UL / CE
- Knowledge of three-phase power electronics fundamentals
- Design experience in a complementary discipline
GENERAL SKILLS & CHARACTERISTICS TO BE SUCCESSFUL AT NUVATION
All Nuvation employees require a common set of general skills & characteristics – your capability in these areas will enable you to be successful at Nuvation. We take these skills and characteristics seriously – being a Nuvation employee requires more than just experience and role-specific skills.
- You want to learn, and you do so quickly
- You are proficient at estimation and critical thinking
- You are organized, independent, and self-managing
- You have strong written and verbal communication
- You desire to work and collaborate with people and teams – you make your colleagues better, and you grow from their contributions
- You focus on results and with quality
- You are passionate and creative – with a willingness to go beyond the normal
- You are hands-on and practical
WHAT DOES NUVATION ENERGY DO?
When you work for Nuvation Energy, you will be working on solving one of the most important problems of our time. Nuvation Energy creates battery management systems that are being used worldwide to support energy storage with projects such as repurposing used electric vehicle batteries, replacing fossil fuel generators, and implementing cleaner power generation for buildings, industrial facilities, and utilities.
If this sounds like an environment where you can thrive, come join us!
WHO IS NUVATION ENERGY?
Nuvation Energy and Nuvation Engineering are two brands under Nuvation Research Corporation, which was founded in 1997. Our head office is in Silicon Valley, California, and our research and development team is located in a 30,000 square foot facility in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada. Nuvation Energy is proud to be recognized as a part of Waterloo Region’s Clean Economy Ecosystem. Learn more about us.