Nuvation is looking for a talented and motivated Senior Electrical Engineer to join our Energy Storage System Design team, Candidates must have a strong background in electrical systems, excellent technical expertise, as well as the ability to work well in a highly collaborative environment.
When you work for Nuvation Energy, you will be working on solving one of the most important problems of our time. Nuvation Energy creates battery management systems that are being used worldwide to support energy storage with projects such as repurposing used electric vehicle batteries, replacing fossil fuel generators, and implementing cleaner power generation for buildings, industrial facilities, and utilities. If this sounds like an environment where you can thrive, come join us!
Our Energy System Design Services team focuses on designing Battery Energy Storage Systems (BESS) and leverages our battery management system (BMS) and energy management system (EMS) products to bring an entire BESS to life. This Senior Electrical Engineer role will directly contribute to the analysis, design decisions, and implementation of these systems. Additional responsibilities include general engineering leadership, team development, mentorship, and individual growth.
The ideal candidate has demonstrated experience working with multi-discipline teams, has sound knowledge of system engineering practices, and is comfortable in a highly collaborative environment. Proven experience is a must, but so are technical creativity and the ability to learn. In this role, you will have the opportunity to develop diverse technical expertise, keep your career dynamic and exciting, and gain a broad range of skills. If you are looking for constant challenges on a wide variety of design problems, this is the job for you.
- Engineering Execution – Actively contributing to the delivery of our Engineering Services. All levels of technical activity will be involved, ranging from design and development to in-lab bring-up. This will be your primary activity – creating new systems for Nuvation and our customers.
- Technical Development – Developing your technical skills, knowledge and leadership through a work environment that provides mentoring and open collaboration.
- Customer Interaction – Ensuring project success by working directly with team members to provide timely and accurate project updates to clients. Providing pre-sales and post-sales technical resources to support our Sales Account Managers.
- System Architecture – Identify and define architecture-level solutions that meet the technical and non-technical requirements of the system/product
- Technical Leadership – Leading, defining, and evolving system development methodologies and resources
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS
- Experienced with power systems design for high voltage DC systems
- Knowledge of electrical design, materials, and installation methods - especially in energy storage applications, is an asset In-depth knowledge of power system protection
- Understanding of electrical, thermal, and mechanical characteristics of cells, modules, and/or packs (SOC, SOH, DOD life cycle etc.)
- Understanding of packaging for various battery systems (cells, modules, busbars, fuses, wiring, connectors, control modules)
- Highly experienced using engineering tools like Solidworks Electrical, AutoCAD or similar
- Proven experience with generating engineering deliverables such as electrical drawings and other technical documents
- Experience working with stakeholders and customers to determine technical requirements and engineering implementation needs
- Experience with designing using specifications and requirements which are based on technical needs
- Ability to identify complex problems, review related information to develop and evaluate options, and implement solutions
- Skilled in performing design activities to meet applicable safety standards
- Excellent communication and technical writing skills
- Able to communicate professionally and positively with customers and vendors
- University degree or College Diploma in Electrical/Electronics, Mechanical, Systems, Mechatronics, or equivalent experience
- Experience using lab equipment, including multimeters, oscilloscopes, power supplies, insulation meters, and hi-pot testers
- Knowledge and application experience of certifications and standards such as Electrical safety, EMC/EMI, UL / CE
- Experience applying NEC requirements (cable sizing, grounding, fusing, etc.)
- Knowledge of three-phase power electronics fundamentals
WHO IS NUVATION ENERGY?
Nuvation Energy and Nuvation Engineering are two brands under Nuvation Research Corporation, which was founded in 1997. Our head office is in Silicon Valley, California, and our research and development team is located in a 30,000 square foot facility in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada. Nuvation Energy is proud to be recognized as a part of Waterloo Region’s Clean Economy Ecosystem. Learn more about us.